Skip to main content

Natural Awakenings Sarasota / Manatee / Charlotte

Letter From the Publisher January 2021 Edition

Well, readers...we survived 2020, and here we are at the starting line of 2021. Just in time for this fresh start, January marks our annual “health and wellness” issue, full of insights on how to strengthen physical, mental and spiritual vitality in 2021. So join me as together we peek inside this first issue of the New Year! 

 

Our feature article for this month is on “Integrative Hospital Care,” a recent trend that brings holistic modalities, from acupuncture to aromatherapy, into conventional healthcare settings. As a result of new clinical research and patient interest, more physicians have started to integrate these therapies into their practices. To date, more than 75 medical centers have begun to offer Reiki, yoga, biofeedback and other holistic techniques to soothe pain and manage symptoms as a less invasive alternative to surgeries or pharmaceuticals. 

 

No “wellness reset” would be complete without nutrition, and our “Conscious Eating” article explores how to rethink our diets in order to create sustainable, balanced eating habits that won’t fizzle out after just a few months. After all those holiday indulgences, it’s common to turn to “quick fix” weight loss solutions, but in reality, incremental nutrition shifts yield the most success long-term. This article introduces the “80–20” concept, in which you chose healthy, plant-based, natural foods 80 percent of the time, and allow yourself to splurge for the other 20 percent to curb any feelings of deprivation.   

 

Many of us spent an inordinate amount of time in the safety of our homes during 2020, and while this was necessary, it presented a challenge for exercise. This year, it’s crucial to make sure that we are able to move our bodies, rather than just being sedentary. However, in these pandemic times, fitness is more about strength, resilience, immune function and inner peace than it is about weight loss or aesthetics. On this note, our “Fit Body” article for January delves into the projected exercise trends for 2021 with modalities such as yoga, meditation, foam rolling and more options to combine physical activity and stress relief. 

 

As usual, this does not even begin to scratch the surface of all the inspiration and enlightenment you’ll find within these pages. I invite you to send any comments, questions or feedback to [email protected], and along with the entire Natural Awakenings team, I wish you all a positive, healthy start to 2021! 

 

 

October 2021 Digital Edition
 

 

 

 

Non-Surgical Spinal Decompression